The Eureka Heritage Society’s annual Home Tour was held
from 12 noon to 5 PM, Sunday, October 1, 2006

Five historic homes plus two modern ones were featured this year, along with traditional vintage vehicles and music. Refreshments were served at the historic Iris House, 1134 H Street. According to our in-house statisticians, 370 tours were were taken and the event raised a substantial $5700. This year's tour was considered to be very successful.

Link to a page with photos of the houses and participants at this years event:

(Click on the thumbnail photo below for a larger photo)

735 15th Street

735 15th Street

This Stick-Eastlake style house was constructed in c. 1886 for Howard Libbey, a clerk at Humboldt Bank, his wife Nellie, and their two sons. The house’s history includes a period as a duplex.
Hoping to purchase the perfect Victorian, current owners Jim and Margaret Stevens found the Libbey House and purchased it in 2004.
They have been hard at work continuing its restoration. The designer of this Stick-Eastlake house is unknown, but it is clearly an excellent example of the style.  The two-story square bay and the vertical stickwork in the wide frieze emphasize the house’s height.  The Stevens have just painted the exterior in a warm brown color palette.

2509 I Street

2509 I Street

Prominent local builder A.C. Johnson designed this house for Mrs. Annie H. Falk, widow of Curtis Falk, in 1936, and the house was constructed in 1937.
Current owners Bill Troiano and Bill Furst purchased the house in 2003 and relocated to Eureka from Santa Barbara. This home is a classic example of the Colonial Revival style. 
The symmetrical front façade includes a central entry and 8/8 double hung windows framed by wooden shutters.  The front porch has been designed as a classical portico, and the paneled front door is capped by a fanlight.  The floor plan of the house also draws on Colonial antecedents.


3621 G Street

3621 G Street

This mid-century house was the long-time home of Earl G. and Daisy Roberts, proprietors of a local dry cleaning business known as Fashion Cleaners.
The house was sold and used as a rental for some time before it was purchased by current owner Jean Gladstone in 2004. 
Jean, who has just opened Gladstone Realty, initially saw the house when she showed it to clients. This Ranch style house includes such classic Ranch features as a low-pitched roof with Dutch gutters, horizontal lines, and sliding glass doors that connect the living space and the beautiful back yard.  Visitors enter through an aviary into the large foyer of the house.  The large living/dining room space includes a central brick fireplace.



3671 F St

3671 F St

Carpenter Cecil C. Wing and his wife Meridith lived next door for a number of years before moving into this house with their nine children in c. 1929. 
Given Cecil Wing’s profession, it seems likely he built the home.
Timothy & Jeannie Tilghman purchased the Wing House in 1999 and found it to be structurally sound, but they have done considerable work restoring the interiors. Restoration work on the house was featured on Ron Hazelton’s House Call and Good Morning America. The Wing House is a classic example of Colonial Revival architecture. 
The two-story house has a side gabled roof with closed pediments and twin brick chimneys to the north and south.



Daley Inn

1125 H Street - Cornelius Daly Inn

Local department store owner Cornelius “Con” Daly built this house in 1905.  Daly and his brother John F. came from County Cork, Ireland in 1892 and founded Daly's Department Store, one of the largest stores north of San Francisco, in 1895.
Around 1990, the house was converted to a bed and breakfast.  Current owners Bob and Donna Gafford purchased the Daly Inn in 2002.
This grand Colonial Revival home was designed by architect A. Dodge Coplin of Bacon & Black, Oakland, CA and certificated in May 1905.  It features twin hipped dormers, symmetrical fenestration, and a wide portico entry embellished with Ionic columns.



Iris House

1134 H St. - Iris House

This house was built in 1900 for William H. Haw, who served as county clerk from 1899-1907 and operated a local rock quarry.
It was converted to a bed & breakfast in the mid-1980s.  Bob and Donna Gafford, proprietors of the Daly Inn, purchased the Iris House in 2004 in order to expand their B&B operation. 
For the last two years, they have been working to restore the house.
Local builder Henry A. Poland designed and built this Queen Anne style house for the Haw family.
The house embodies such typical Queen Anne characteristics as a juxtaposed roofline, a variety of surface materials, and use of decorative and colored glass windows.


Linda Lane

2520 Linda Lane

Industrial building designer George Knight designed this home for Richard Brickell, an employee of Burl Craft Marine, and his wife Eileen in 1958.
Current owners Susan and Joseph Higgins purchased the house in 2002 after Susan walked into the house, saw the curved wooden wall in the entry, and immediately fell in love.
This unique home is semicircular in plan and contains very few right angles.  Curved lines are found from the entry to the kitchen cupboards. 
The house contains beautiful woodwork, including Philippine mahogany, birch, and ash, which are used in the house’s many built-ins.



Home Tours of the Past can always be found in the